Northeast Atlanta Disaster Preparedness Expo

Moderator: Region Moderator

Northeast Atlanta Disaster Preparedness Expo

Postby urbansurvivorgroup » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Urban Survivor Group will be hosting a Disaster Preparedness Expo on March 9th and 10th at the Georgia Mountain Center in Downtown Gainesville Georgia. Tickets go on sale January 1st and will be limited to 300 per day. Further Information can be found at http://www.meetup.com/urban-survivor-group/ or at the United States Disaster Preparedness Expo website; http://www.usdpe.org

Anyone who has additional questions please feel free to call or send me a note!

Ken Clarke

770-722-7397

urbansurvivorgroup@gmail.com
urbansurvivorgroup
Prepper

Re: Northeast Atlanta Disaster Preparedness Expo

Postby florida44 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Thanks Ken. I remember meeting you earlier this year at a show in Cartersville. This sounds great!
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)
florida44
Prepper

Postby Lowdown3 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 am

Looking forward to this, should be a good event. Might see some familiar faces there ;)
Regions 9, 11, 12
Lowdown3
Prepper

Postby florida44 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:30 am

So your going to make the trek to Gainesville Lowdown? You'll be in my neck of the woods. Hope to see you there. Happy New Year!
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)
florida44
Prepper

Postby Georgia Brewer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:08 pm

I went to the website today to get some information on this Expo. As of today's date, there appear to be no sponsors, no speakers, and no vendors, unless of course the site has not been updated. Additionally, I see tickets are $20 each. My question is, what is the $20 for? Admission? If so, for what?

Additionally, I see that Ken has only made one post on our site since joining in mid December.

Caveat Emptor!
Forsyth County
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
-- Winston Churchill
Georgia Brewer
Prepper

Postby florida44 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:27 pm

There is another one in Nashville that is a National Expo and its free. I will say this. Chief71 told me she went to buy tickets and when she couldnt get it done there went to Urban Survival Group forum site to see if that would do it. To join you he wanted her to send a pic of herself and wanted her name. She wouldnt give it and sent pic of the dog! He said becuase you appear to be untrustworthy I refuse you access to the forum. I mean really!!!
But sent tickets finally. I am only going because it looks like some good classes if it happens. And Lowdown is a vendor there so will be good to see him.
Region 2
florida44
Prepper

Postby Georgia Brewer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:37 pm

florida44 wrote:There is another one in Nashville that is a National Expo and its free. I will say this. Chief71 told me she went to buy tickets and when she couldnt get it done there went to Urban Survival Group forum site to see if that would do it. To join you he wanted her to send a pic of herself and wanted her name. She wouldnt give it and sent pic of the dog! He said becuase you appear to be untrustworthy I refuse you access to the forum. I mean really!!!
But sent tickets finally. I am only going because it looks like some good classes if it happens. And Lowdown is a vendor there so will be good to see him.

Other than Lowdown's post I don't know that he is a vendor there and I did not see anything about classes.
This may be 100% on the up and up but, since Doomsday Preppers aired last year and with all the attention prepping is getting now there are more and more people jumping in for the main purpose of making a quick buck. Once again, I will say this may be completely legit but, after seeing someone post that they attempted to go to the November meeting with that meetup group and there was no on there to find out that no one showed up.

Per your statement about 'Chief71 trying to join under a forum name and it was not sufficient and he wanted a real name sends off a big flare for me that this guy has no clue about the prepper community.

Sorry, but something does not smell right about this.
Forsyth County
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
-- Winston Churchill
Georgia Brewer
Prepper

Postby florida44 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:48 pm

I met him at a Gun Show in Cartersville once, an Eastman Show. He had business cards, website and said he has a storefront in downtown Buford. Here is a link to the "classes" I was referring to and I should use that word loosely but it looked interesting. I know several people that are just starting to prep that will go to something like this before they would get online and chat with us.
http://www.usdpe.org/schedule.htm
Region 2
florida44
Prepper

Postby urbansurvivorgroup » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:35 am

Sent: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:07 am
by urbansurvivorgroup
Here are the "Five" tough questions I asked the person whom identified herself by "Me" and who's avatar was a picture of a "Dog"

(1) Are you a Prepper or Survivalist? Can you tell me the Difference?

(2) What do you seek from joining Urban Survivor Group?

(3) What skills can you contribute to Urban Survivor Group?

(4) What type of Disaster concerns you and how are you preparing for it?

(5) Are you willing to do whatever it takes to insure the survival of your family?

I also required an introduction and a photo. She didn't answer any of the questions except with one word answers, put her name as "Me" and a picture of a dog? Wouldn't you be suspicious? I have over 75 approved members and only 2 that I have denied joining. Both we judgement calls, and I stand by my calls. Did she tell you that I said that if she was willing to be more open with her answers to the questions that I would reconsider her joining my Meetup group? As for photo's? about 70% of my members don't post their photo's but their answers to my questions are more open and honest, not evasive.

Finally, as an ex-cop, private investigator and diehard prepper I listen to my gut when it comes to allowing people into my Meetup Group. It's not a blog, it's a website design to bring preppers together, physically, so they can meet, great, talk, and share ideas face to face.

As for the Expo, the problem is not the lack of speakers, vendors or subjects, its a problem with the web builder. He is slow, plump, works from a Lazy Boy recliner, dyslexic and self trained. So with everything else I have to do I have set aside 1 hour a day, between 3am and 4am to updating the web page. if I don't fall asleep first.

Tickets are already selling. This idea has been 12 months in the works and only running sense January 2nd. I have about 60% of my speakers signed up and if I could afford it, all the spaces would be filled. With great speakers comes great fee's. One person wanted $500 to speak, a five star hotel room for Saturday night and to be reimbursed for her expenses! Personally I think Georgia has great minds that could be great speakers and I would rather see someone local do the speaking then going to an Expo where the speaker does a teleconference seminar but only after he is paid.

For those who know me I don't do things half way. The Georgia Mountain Center in Gainsville will seat over 400 but I am using 30% of the space to allow vendors to set up an sell. No guns, no weapons, not even pepper spray or stun guns. Speakers get free tables and show passes, that's it. About 25% of my tickets will go to vendors and their guest so if I make any profit out of this, its all going towards the next show, a month so later.

Finally, let me say that I have worked the Prepper/gun show route for the past 4 years and found that at gun shows I might get 1 customer for every 50 people who passed my tables. This expo is my way of bringing the product to the people who want to buy it, and the education to those who want to learn.

Thanks for listening.

Ken Clarke
Urban Survivor Disaster Preparedness Expo's
http://www.usdpe.org
Education, Attitude, Preparation, Planning, Survival.
urbansurvivorgroup
Prepper

Postby Chief71 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:39 pm

I sent you the email telling you the site was not working. You responded stating I should be able to get in. When I tried again it still would not allow me to buy tickets. I tried to sign up for your site because I really wanted some tickets. I am not going to have my picture or my real name plastered on a site where any one in the world can google and find it. I like my privacy! I am involved with my GPN family, we meet, talk and learn from one another. I have my tickets and will be at your expo, however I do still stand by my first impression of you, and believe me it is not good. But in spite of that I will still be there.
Region 2
Chief71
Prepper

Postby Georgia_Grown » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 pm

There is a huge difference in becoming a part of a group and going to an "Expo"... If I am trying to join his group - fine Ken can do whatever vetting he deems appropriate but if I am going to an Expo, I don't think so scooter... With requiring a photo and a name I would speculate that Ken works for DHS and is creating a Data base of people and facial rcognition data that will help identify "non-conformist"... Sounds nasty when you say it out loud but I have run MANY training classes and seminars and I have never even ask for the participants names?... Hmmm can we say AGENDA... I hope I am wrong but with what is going on right now I would not give anyone a damn bit of information about myself if was a prepper class especially a photo... Like I said facial recognition - think about it you walk through his doors and now that you supplied him a photo and a name and they now have a matching photo to go with your name - WHY?????????? TMI if you ask me - like I said I have sponsered probably 6 events in the Atlanta area and I never even asked for a name - just "are you attending"... No thanks and if you are a prepper in this area my advice to you is to avoid this like the plaguage. Why does someone need this much info on you to go to an Expo - it is not like they are asking you to join their BOL - tread carefully preppers, tread very carefully....

GG
GPN Administrator

Disclaimer: The views expressed are in no way meant to offend anyone. If you are offended by a post from this poster, please open a can of mixed nuts and let the fake snakes scare the Hell out of you, trust me you need it!
Georgia_Grown
Site Admin

Postby Georgia_Grown » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 pm

I reread Kens post after I posted my respponse and I wanted to add a few things... On his post dated Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:35 am there are many areas that I would like for my preppers to pay attention to... HE does all the choosing there is no group just him... Everything is always listed as my never our?... The "calls are always "my calls"... "I listen to "My Gut" and "My Meetup Group" Be very aware and very cautious...

Ken may be the best thing since sliced bread BUT it seems to be a whole lot about Ken and not very much about YOU... I do not have the answers for you but I have met many of you and I know that ya'll are better than this and I know that you can contribute to and be a very resourceful member of a group without being dictated to... you are better than that and you can make a better place than that in the world that is coming. I know many of you feel like you have to get a BOL to "make yourself ready' but please do your homework and find a fit where you will be part of the gropup and not under a new set of totalitarian rule...

GG
GPN Administrator

Disclaimer: The views expressed are in no way meant to offend anyone. If you are offended by a post from this poster, please open a can of mixed nuts and let the fake snakes scare the Hell out of you, trust me you need it!
Georgia_Grown
Site Admin

Postby stvr » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:42 pm

GG I think your right on target. (sorry about the pun) my - mine not we - our should always bring out the caution flag. Thanks for the reminder. Things are getting interresting, keep moving forward, just proceed a bit slower and with increased caution. The goal is to get to the other side, but if you hurry and step on a land mine, you never make it across.
"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

stvr
Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
(USMC Retired)
stvr
Global Moderator

Postby urbansurvivorgroup » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:05 am

Oh how I love a good discussion, what I don't understand is why I'm having to defend both my Expo and my Meetup Group. But let me answer things one step at a time.
To Chief71: When you e-mailed me saying that the internet link for purchasing tickets wasn't working I can assure you that it was. I knew it was already working when you tried it because you were not the first person to buy tickets and it worked for them. What I didn't say, because I didn't want to be rude, is that the problem was with you or your computer, NOT the web site. I tried to help you figure out the problem and even said that if you had further issues to contact me directly. You never did so I assumed it got figured out. Second, your impression of me is important. I am not trying to be invasive if it's your intent to remain discrete. But as administrator of the Meetup.com group called Urban Survivor Group, I reserve the right to not let just anyone join because some people try to join just for the mayhem they can cause.

To Georgia Grown: you said
Georgia_Grown wrote:There is a huge difference in becoming a part of a group and going to an "Expo"... If I am trying to join his group - fine Ken can do whatever vetting he deems appropriate but if I am going to an Expo, I don't think so scooter...
Sir your absolute right except for one thing. There is no requirement like that for the Expo. Anyone, and I repeat ANYONE can purchase tickets to the Expo without having to answer any questions, submit a picture or give me your name.

Then you expounded the problem with this quote:
Georgia_Grown wrote:With requiring a photo and a name I would speculate that Ken works for DHS and is creating a Data base of people and facial rcognition data that will help identify "non-conformist"... Sounds nasty when you say it out loud but I have run MANY training classes and seminars and I have never even ask for the participants names?... Hmmm can we say AGENDA... I hope I am wrong but with what is going on right now I would not give anyone a damn bit of information about myself if was a prepper class especially a photo... Like I said facial recognition - think about it you walk through his doors and now that you supplied him a photo and a name and they now have a matching photo to go with your name - WHY?????????? TMI if you ask me - like I said I have sponsered probably 6 events in the Atlanta area and I never even asked for a name - just "are you attending"... No thanks and if you are a prepper in this area my advice to you is to avoid this like the plaguage. Why does someone need this much info on you to go to an Expo - it is not like they are asking you to join their BOL - tread carefully preppers, tread very carefully....

Let me clarify again;
First, I have a preppers group, mostly those who are new to prepping and want to learn the basics. I have been running the group for more then a year and have over 70 members. I have rejected only to applicants and banned two as well.

Second; I am the organizer and keynote speaker for a Disaster Preparedness Expo in Northeast Georgia at the request of my Meetup group members and I just thought it was a great idea. I'm not into it for the money I just like helping people new to the prepping world and figured this was the best way to do it. There is NO questions you have to answer for purchasing tickets and anyone is more then welcome to show up at the Expo and pay in cash so the only face I can remember is Jefferson's. (On the twenty)

Third Georgia Grown, you posted this;
Georgia_Grown wrote:I reread Kens post after I posted my respponse and I wanted to add a few things... On his post dated Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:35 am there are many areas that I would like for my preppers to pay attention to... HE does all the choosing there is no group just him... Everything is always listed as my never our?... The "calls are always "my calls"... "I listen to "My Gut" and "My Meetup Group" Be very aware and very cautious...

Ken may be the best thing since sliced bread BUT it seems to be a whole lot about Ken and not very much about YOU... I do not have the answers for you but I have met many of you and I know that ya'll are better than this and I know that you can contribute to and be a very resourceful member of a group without being dictated to... you are better than that and you can make a better place than that in the world that is coming. I know many of you feel like you have to get a BOL to "make yourself ready' but please do your homework and find a fit where you will be part of the gropup and not under a new set of totalitarian rule...

You right, it is MY Meetup Group. I started it, I PAY for it, and I have offered to let anyone else run it if they would take over paying the $19.00 monthly fee. Nobody stood up, so yes, it's my group until I die or somebody better steps up and takes over paying for it. You wouldn't know that unless you joined as ALL group members information is only viewable by members, not the public. That goes for the post, discussions, meetups locations and dates.

Oh and again, here are the five questions that EVERYONE answers to join my meetup group;
(1) Are you a Prepper or Survivalist? Can you tell me the Difference?

(2) What do you seek from joining Urban Survivor Group?

(3) What skills can you contribute to Urban Survivor Group?

(4) What type of Disaster concerns you and how are you preparing for it?

(5) Are you willing to do whatever it takes to insure the survival of your family?

Additionally prospective members are asked to provide a introduction, photo, and a name. I don't care if your name is Bubba, and you photo is of Rick from the Rick and Bubba show. What I was concerned was about her using the name ME and not answering my five questions with more then monosyllables. If I only knew then what I know now I would have understood that she is a member of this prepper blog, known and trusted by her friends, and didn't answer my questions because she was concerned about her safety. But I didn't, and as a judgement call, and for the safety of the members of the group, I denied her membership.

To Georgia Brewer, you said:
Georgia Brewer wrote:I went to the website today to get some information on this Expo. As of today's date, there appear to be no sponsors, no speakers, and no vendors, unless of course the site has not been updated. Additionally, I see tickets are $20 each. My question is, what is the $20 for? Admission? If so, for what?

Additionally, I see that Ken has only made one post on our site since joining in mid December.

First let me say that running an Expo is not cheep.. Buildings charge rent, tables and chairs have to be rented, liability insurance must be purchased, police have to be rented, tickets, advertising, banners, brochures and a hundred other countless things. THAT'S why the ticket price is $20 for one day or $30 for both days. Remember we are talking about seating for 300 to 350 attendees at this Expo.

Second, prior to joining Georgia Preppers, I was and still am a member of American Preppers Network and joined back in March of 2010. Ive only had one post here as I've only been a member for less then a month. Yes I started off using it to inform the prepping public of my upcoming Expo but it wasn't my intent to remain silent as my long rants have proven.

Enough said. Anyone else?

Ken
urbansurvivorgroup
Prepper

Postby Georgia_Grown » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 am

urbansurvivorgroup wrote:
You right, it is MY Meetup Group. I started it, I PAY for it, and I have offered to let anyone else run it if they would take over paying the $19.00 monthly fee. Nobody stood up, so yes, it's my group until I die or somebody better steps up and takes over paying for it. You wouldn't know that unless you joined as ALL group members information is only viewable by members, not the public. That goes for the post, discussions, meetups locations and dates. Ken

Sorry to be the one to have to tell you Ken but anyone can view the members information... I have attached a copy of one of your members information but I did delete his name and location... OPSEC issues really suck and I hope that you are able to correct this for your members...

GG
GPN Administrator

Georgia_Grown
Site Admin

Next

Return to State Meetups and Multi-Regional Events